Monday, October 4, 2010

Thank Me Later - Drake

First of all, thanks for taking some time to visit the blog and props to those who voted on Treasure or Trash on the first two items. If you are new to this blog, feel free to vote on each item. At the end of the month I will summarize the results for ALL items and post them as a blog entry. That being said, my third purchased item is:
Audio CD – Drake – Thank Me Later                           Cost $14.99
I spent about a month contemplating whether to buy this CD or not. This CD was likely the most commercialized CD of the summer. It is most likely attributed to Drake being from Toronto (close to my hometown) but the reviews of this CD just further emphasized the buzz. I finally made my decision after watching “Born To Be” featuring Drake – basically a 30 minute infomercial on his success.
Wanna hear something funny? That last rap/hip hop CD I purchased was Stankonia by Outkast with the hits “Ms. Jackson” and “B.O.B.”. That was in 2000. I have not bought a rap/hip hop CD in close to a decade!
Why did I consider buying it? As already mentioned, the buzz for this CD release was massive. Drake was everywhere. The first single “Over” really caught my attention and grew on me fast. The next two singles I’ve been rather indifferent about, but I was hoping there would be more songs like “Over” on the CD.
So, I took a gamble. I bought the CD. After my first listen to the CD, I immediately thought trash. I’m not a huge fan of the vulgarity in the rap genre, but after a few listens, the music and lyrics have grown on me.
Drake does some great duets with Alicia Keys and Jay-Z and the CD, overall, has a very mellow, laidback feeling. It’s something to listen to when you just want to chill, not so much when cruising down the streets at full blast.
Ultimately, my vote goes to treasure. Drake is worth the hype and I personally believe he will be around for years to come.
So, blog readers, this is your chance to vote Treasure or Trash. Use whatever criteria you want to make your decision and post it below!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I gotta do the trash thing, man. Not calling you out or anything, but personally my choice of music DOES NOT include rap, PERIOD. Of course what other people ultimately decide for themselves is their business, but I certainly doubt I'd ever consciously buy a rep cd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trash. Serisouly, we live in a poor student world where you can get music for free. Save your $14.99.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trash... Drake sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woww, definetly...tresure!

    ReplyDelete